CS 112: Introduction to Big Data
Unit 1 - Fundamentals of Big Data
These are slides from the first week, introducing some general (business-oriented) concepts of big data, and ending with a (non-business-oriented) case study in using techniques from data analytics to make sense of a complicated idea in literature.
Unit 2 - Mapping and Analysis with ArcGIS
Unit 3 - Computational Analysis with R
- Introduction to R Markdown
- Reading and Subsetting Data
This week, we're working with a data set of politicians' deleted tweets from the Politwoops project. The data can be downloaded here politwoops.csv.
- Special Data Types in R: What Can We Learn from Twitter Metadata?
- Data Visualization with R Graphics: What Can We See about Political Tweets?
Week 11 (classes suspended)
Because of disruptions from COVID-19, classes this week were suspended. Below is a bonus lesson on data visualization using ggplot2, which, depending on how you look at it, is more complicated or more simple than visualizing with base R graphics.
- Data Visualization with ggplot2: What Can We See about Political Tweets?